(By Andrew Murray)
How often do we read the Scriptures without expectation that the Lord would fulfil them in us? There is actually a place in Scripture where the Lord asks his people; is there no physician in the land? (Jeremiah 8:22,9:3). My people don’t even acknowledge me.” God is basically saying; What am I, chopped liver? Why don’t you come to me for help or healing?”
Remember that faith is the confident attitude of a child who honors His Father and counts on His love. He knows His Father fulfills His promises and is faithful to communicate the new strength that flows from redemption to the body as well as to the soul.
When God promises Abraham a son, the patriarch would never have been able to believe this promise if he had considered his own body already aged and worn out. But Abraham saw only God and His promise. This kind of faith enables us to lay hold of divine healing. The kind of faith that looks beyond the diagnosis, the heart break, and the mental torment and believes that God is bigger than and ABLE to transform any natural infirmity or brokenness.
In order for a child of God to receive divine healing, the following must take place; sin must be confessed and renounced, one must completely surrender to the Lord, self must be yielded up to be wholly in His hands, and one must firmly believe that Jesus desires to take charge of the body, mind, and soul. Then, the healing becomes the beginning of a new life or intimate communion with the Lord.
Faith receives healing as a spiritual grace that proceeds from the Lord, even while there seems to be no change in the natural.
Let us seek to be healed by Jesus, so that His name may be glorified. It is the will of God to glorify His Son in the church, and He will do it where He finds faith. God is ready to manifest the power of His Son, and to do it in striking ways in bodies as well as in souls. Let us believe it for ourselves; let us believe it for others. Let us give ourselves to believe with firm faith in the power of the name of Jesus. Let us ask great things in His name, counting on His promises, and we will see that God still does wonders by the name of His Holy Son.
Promises & Prayers for Healing
- Isaiah 53:5 – By your stripes I am healed.
- Jeremiah 17:14 – Heal me and I will be healed, save me & I will be saved.
- Psalm 41:3 – The Lord will sustain me upon my sickbed, in illness, You restore my to health.
- Psalm 103:1-5 – Praise the Lord O my soul… Praise the Lord who heals all my diseases.
- Psalm 107:20 – He sent forth His word and healed them and delivered them from all their destructions.
- Psalm 147:3 – He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
- 1 Corinth. 15:34 – Our bodies are buried in brokenness, but they will be raised in glory. They are buried in weakness, but they will be raised in strength.
- James 5:16 Confess your sins to one another and pray for one another. That you may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.